Harry B Thompson Jr.
Born in Atlanta on Feb 21st, 1906 to Harry B Thompson and Maude Scott Thompson; attended Boy’s High School of Atlanta which was located on 10th street across from Piedmont Park. Graduated Boys’s High of Atlanta in 1923.
Maude Scott Thompson is the daughter of Maude Goldsmith Scott (1880-1958) of Cartersville Ga, the daughter of Mark Wingfield Scott ( 1848-1912) and Emma Lois Goldsmith (1856-1935).
Bachelor of Science degree from Georgia Tech in 1928. Member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity.
Social and Personal Life:
-President of Atlanta Alumni association of Sigma Alpha Epsilon
-Two-time President of Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association ( 1952 and 1953)
-Director of Southern Lawn Tennis Association
-Piedmont Driving Club
-Nine O’Clocks ( social club)
-Atlanta Rotary Club
-First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta
From Ga Tech, he followed in his Dad’s footsteps working alongside him at Conklin Tin Plate & Metal Company where he became Vice President and eventually President.
Wife and Family:
On December 19th, 1931 married Helen Harriet Cody. Together, they had 2 children, Leila born March 20th 1934, and Harry III born April 11th 1938.
Helen Harriet Cody is the daughter of William “Bill” Cody and the sister of Wellborn Cody. Both father and brother played a prominent role in Atlanta history. William Cody was the Atlanta Fire Chief during the Great Atlanta Fire of 1917, described in this article. Her brother, Wellborn Cody, was a founding partner in what would become the largest law firm in Atlanta, Kirkpatrick Cody, which is currently named Kirkpatrick, Stockton, & Townsend. The law firm is nationally known for several front-page cases of the day including one involving legendary University of Alabama coach Bear Bryant and detailed in the attached article from Sports Illustrated.
ALTA: Along with Malon Courts was one of the 3 Founding Members of ALTA ( Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association), organization tournaments and hosting planning committee meetings at his house on Chatham Road, Harry was instrumental in making ALTA what it has become today-one of the largest tennis organizations in the country with over 80,000 members” unequaled in the world for fun and fellowship through tennis”.
Bitsy Grant Tennis Center: in 1952, along with Malon Courts helped establish Bitsy Grant Tennis center on Northside Drive making tennis more accessible to all; prior to Bitsy Grant Tennis Center there were few public courts – most tennis was played at private clubs including Atlanta Athletic Club and the Piedmont Driving Club. Harry Jr. was also a member of the Capital City Club.